ABOUT WOLVES LANE
Wolves Lane Centre is a thriving community hub in Wood Green, dedicated to sustainable growing, education, social enterprise, and community engagement. The centre aims to develop and distribute wholesome food, foster the local food economy through education and enterprise, and promote a healthier, more sustainable food culture in the area. Thanks to funding from the National Lottery and the Mayor of London’s Good Growth Fund, we are undertaking a major site redevelopment, and work to ensure Wolves Lane’s long-term sustainability as a vibrant community space.
The Hospitality and Retail Assistant at Wolves Lane Centre will play a pivotal role in providing excellent customer service and support in our hospitality and retail areas. This role is designed to offer practical work experience, skills development, and employment support for individuals who are looking to gain valuable experience in the hospitality and retail sectors while contributing to the vibrant Wolves Lane community.
Duration: 25 weeks, 2 days per week (negotiable)
Reports to: Retail Manager
Pay: £10.75 ~ £13.15 per hour (negotiable to London Living Wage, depending on experience)
Application deadline: Midnight Monday 27th November 2023
Interviews: W/C 4th December 2023
HOW TO APPLY
Please read the role description and person specification below and let us know how you think your skills and experience makes this traineeship right for you. Attach a CV or statement of your work/volunteer history, as well as either a cover letter or a video. We welcome applications even if you feel you don’t fulfil every element of the person specification.
Please send your application and equalities monitoring form to email@example.com with ‘Eco-build and Site Maintenance Assistant – (your name)’ in the email title.
- Greet and assist customers in a friendly and professional manner, providing information about Wolves Lane Centre and its products or services.
- Serve and handle customer orders, including food and beverages in our café, and retail products in our store.
- Maintain a clean and organised retail space, ensuring that products are well-displayed and appropriately stocked.
- Collaborate with the kitchen and Retail Manager to create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for all visitors.
- Operate the point-of-sale system for sales transactions and handle cash or card payments accurately.
- Assist in food preparation, including making beverages, and other light food items. Help clean and wash up.
- Follow health and safety guidelines for food handling, cleanliness, and maintenance of equipment.
- Work with the team to organise and support events, workshops, and activities held at Wolves Lane Centre.
Skills, Knowledge, Ability, Commitments
Education and Experience
- Aged between 18 and 25, or part of a specified beneficiary group (e.g., adults with additional needs, refugees).
- No specific prior experience in hospitality or retail is required, but a passion for customer service and an interest in these sectors is a plus.
- Willingness to learn and adapt to the demands of the role.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Friendly and approachable, with a positive attitude.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently.
- Basic computer literacy, including experience with point-of-sale systems (training will be provided).
- Enthusiasm for providing a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for customers and community members.
- Flexibility and adaptability to handle a variety of tasks and customer needs.
- Empathy, patience, and a desire to contribute positively to the Wolves Lane community.
The role involves working in a fast-paced hospitality and retail environment. Work hours may vary, including weekends and special events, to support the Wolves Lane Centre’s activities and services.